Passports FAQ

Do I need a passport to go to Canada or Mexico?

It Could Be Yes OR No. (Visit for up-to-date info. )

Yes – ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport book to enter or re-enter the United States.

If traveling by land or sea to Cananda, Mexico, or the U.S. portions of the Caribbean, U.S. citizens may present a passport card (less expensive than a book)

What is a passport card?

Passport cards are limited-use, wallet-size cards. Passport cards are only valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda. They are less expensive than passport books, but valid for the same length of time. Visit for up-to-date info.

How do I get a passport at Elizabethtown Public Library?

Elizabethtown Public Library is a passport acceptance facility, receiving your application on behalf of the US Department of State. Please call (717) 367-7467 to make an appointment and make sure that you have everything and everyone needed to complete your application. Some things vary according to your circumstances.

At your appointment, you will have your picture taken (if not supplied), then ID and citizenship documentation examined. You will swear or affirm your application information is true and correct, then you will sign your application and ID will be documented. We will do our best to answer your questions. Elizabethtown Public Library will then send your completed application to a designated address given by the US Department of State. Please see for the most current information about processing times.

Passport cards can be expedited, however overnight mailing of the card to the applicant is not available.

Call us at (717) 367-7467 to ask more Passport Questions!
We are here to help you!